4.17.2007

brighten your day

Enlighten! is a new and improved way to be an energy efficient person. It's an organized effort to reduce electricity intake, and conserve energy! It came about due to the Dominion Power Line issues in Virginia. It implements the usage of CFL's (compact flourescent lightbulbs) that combine low wattage with high light output.
Unlike earlier attempts at earth-friendly lighting, these newer bulbs don't take time to light up to their full potential. The makers must have realized that when my phone starts ringing in the middle of the night, and in my half-asleep stupor I knock it into my pile of dirty clothes, I don't want to wait five minutes for my lamp to light up to be able to find my phone.
Now there are other alternatives to the everyday incandescent light bulbs, halogens, and flourescents. Solar lighting can operate with little or no electricity. Besides the hefty price that is required for installation of solar powered lighting, their performance may become impaired if it is dark or cloudy outside.
These new CFL's are a more affordable alternative and have been proven to reduce electric bills by over $300.00 a year! According to EnlightenVA.org, replacing just 12 household bulbs can "reduce as much pollution as an acre of forest". Prices on these bulbs have been dramatically reduced over the past few years since they were introduced into the market, and now you can find CFL's for about $3.00 each. Not too bad considering they last longer and use 75% less energy than the standard light bulb (Enlighten).
Give it a try!

references
Enlighten! USA. 03/07/2007. Enlighten! USA. 04/12/2007. www.enlightenusa.org

3 comments:

GlendaD said...

I like how you're doing your entries. Each one is different, but the underlying statement is constant. Goes to show how a little thing, like replacing a light bulb, can be environment-friendly. Fluorescent light bulbs are also better on the elderly's eyes.

Steph Bowling said...

It kind of neat how little things like switching to a different brand of light bulb can save you so much, money and energy. You mentioned that these light bulbs are brighter, which would be a good idea for me to consider because the light bulb in my bedroom isnt very bright at all and will sometimes give me a headache.

Julie P.Q. said...

How expensive is solar energy in our area? Do you know if the state offers some sort of incentive/buy back of solar power once you're "off the grid"?

I've heard my husband rumble about getting solar pannels, but I doubt Reston Association will allow us; it's out of the design scheme (argh!). I'm going to look into that.